Advanced Laser Treatment for
Pilonidal Sinus (Cyst)
What is Pilonidal Sinus or Pilonidal Cyst?
A pilonidal cyst or sinus is an abnormal pocket in the skin near the tailbone at the buttocks region. It usually contains skin and hair debris. If it gets infected, pus or abscess forms which are quite painful.
What are the Causes for Pilonidal Cyst or Pilonidal Sinus?
- Sitting for Long hours
- Hair Puncture
- Wearing tight clothes
- Excess Sweating in the region of Pilonidal Cyst or Pilonidal Sinus
- Hormonal Changes
What are the symptoms of Pilonidal Cyst or Sinus?
- Discharge like serous fluid or pus that is drained from Pilonidal Cyst or Sinus
Risks associated with Pilonidal Cyst or Sinus
- Abscess formation
- Systemic infection
- Rarely skin cancer at the site of Pilonidal cyst or sinus
Diagnosis Of Pilonidal Cyst or Pilonidal Sinus
- Usually by physical examination
- Sometimes Ultrasonography, Contrast Study using the fluoroscopy or CT, MRI study to see the extent of a pilonidal cyst or pilonidal sinus
Treatment Options for Pilonidal Cyst or Sinus
The Treatment of Pilonidal Cyst or Pilonidal Sinus depends on type and nature of cyst or Sinus
- Medical Management of Pilonidal Cyst or Sinus with antibiotics at an early stage of disease
- If Recurrent or Complicated or advanced stages, Pilonidal Cyst or Pilonidal are treated with Open Surgery or Laser Treatment.
Open Surgery of Pilonidal Cyst or Pilonidal Sinus is done after giving local anesthesia, an irritant chemical is given and scraping is done to remove the pilonidal cyst or sinus entirely.
Laser surgery is regarded as the most effective treatment for Pilonidal Sinus or Pilonidal cysts. In this least invasive treatment, a particular laser fiber is used to send high-intensity light energy into the Sinus which destroys the wound and collapses the infected tract.
Advantages of Laser Treatment for Pilonidal Cyst or Pilonidal Sinus
Open Surgery Laser Treatment Minimally Invasive No Yes Local Anesthesia No Yes Same day Discharge No Yes Post Treatment Pain High Minimal Recovery Slow Quick Blood Loss High Chances No Recurrence High Chances Least
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cost of pilonidal sinus surgery in Hyderabad?
The price range between Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 70,000 depending on various factors like the consultation fee, type of hospital, and severity of disease, type of pilonidal cyst or pilonidal sinus surgery.
Does Pilonidal Cyst or Pilonidal Sinus Spread?
No. It’s a non-contagious skin condition.
Will Pilonidal Cyst or Pilondial Sinus go away?
- Few Pilonidal cysts or Pilonidal Sinus can be cured with medicines. But Chronic or Recurrent Pilonidal Cyst or Pilonidal Sinus will reappear again and again which needs laser treatment or surgery.
What can happen if the pilonidal sinus is left untreated?
Few people may ignore the severity of pilonidal sinus or cyst and may leave it untreated. Leaving pilonidal sinus untreated can cause some complications. A few of those complications are:
- abscesses [pockets of infection]
- recurrent anal infections
- sinus cavities [empty space beneath the skin]
How long will it take to complete laser pilonidal sinus surgery?
On average 15 to 30 mins